As a busy stay at home mom finding time to squeeze in a workout can be difficult. My workouts will NOT happen if I don't do them before the kids wake up.
And because working out is absolutely necessary for me to remain sane throughout the day -- EARLY morning workouts are my best option.
AND I have honestly fallen in love with mornings. There is something awesome about being awake while the rest of the house is sleeping, the house is quiet, and I have time just for ME. It's an amazing way to start my day.
For some people just waking up early is a form of torture. So waking up early to EXERCISE feels downright cruel!
Well, although difficult - if you are ready and willing to fit your workout in bright and early here are my TOP 5 TIPS:
- The process of waking up early starts at bedtime. Determine what time you need to wake up and count backwards to determine what time you should hit the pillow. 6-8 hours is sufficient. Need to get up at 5 am? Make sure you are in bed and asleep by 10. Easy Peasy!
- Set your alarm for 10 minutes before you want to get out of bed. When your alarm goes off, press snooze, instead of being upset that you have to get out of bed you will be happy that you have 10 more minutes to sleep!
- Get prepared the night before. Lay out your clothes, find your shoes, set your coffee on a timer, and have a workout plan. Take the chaos out of your morning and set yourself up to be successful.
- Get excited about waking up by having something to look forward to - a hot cup coffee, a breakfast smoothie you love, or a workout you enjoy!! Think about your results and how you will feel afterwards. Think about the big picture and get excited about the future.
- FOCUS on the small task of getting out of bed. Breaking it down into small jobs will help us feel like our big goal is more achievable. So, FOCUS on the first two minutes of your new habit - getting up, getting dressed, and COFFEE! Once you have accomplished these first two minutes it will be hard for you to turn back. You are up and ready so, going back to bed won't seem like such a great idea now.
My BONUS tips:
Respect your routine - Make your workout an appointment, an important commitment or date you wouldn't miss. Whatever you want to call it, put it on your schedule and stick to it just like you would any other set appointment in your day. Schedule your workout days AND your rest days and mark them on your calendar.
DO IT no matter what. Consistency builds habits and habits once established are hard to break. Get up and go through the motions even if you aren't feeling it, you will always be glad you did!
Mornings can be such a great time for so many things. Especially when you are a mom and finding a moment of ME time throughout the day can be nearly impossible. Are you ready? Follow these tips and make small goals toward creating this awesome habit! You won't regret it!
Want to chat about your goals or struggles or just join in the conversation?
Find RSM on Facebook! I look forward to seeing you there!