You might hear me talk about the BASICS and being a #BasicBadass all the time.... but, what the heck does it all mean?!
These are the things that will help us lose weight, get strong, and see RESULTS no matter what time of year it is, how busy we are, or whether or not we FEEL motivated. This means...NO BS!!!
Sooo, what are the BASICS???
1. Water: “Just drink the damn water!!” is something that you will hear us say a lot in our group. Water is always the first basic we focus on and the one we come back to most often when we are stuck. This is because hydration is super important but also -- it’s an easy & healthy basic to accomplish and also to be successful with.
2. Plate: The Real Strong Plate is the most important piece of nutrition information in our program that you need to learn and follow. Filling your real strong plate is simple, doable, and easy to be consistent with no matter where you are. No need for colored containers, scales, or apps to track and measure -- all you need to do is visualize the plate. In addition to the plate we know and understand the importance of protein, fiber, and the impact that the timing and amount of starchy carbs we eat has on us.
3. Movement: 20 minutes of movement every day is recommended. 4 times a week we suggest Real Strong Mom Workouts -- a mix of high intensity and heavy weights (rest based training) that allow you to get the most out of 20 minutes.
4. Restorative Activity: On the days that you are not doing your RSM workouts and even on the days that you are -- we encourage as much stress relieving restorative activity as possible. This can range from walking, stretching, sleeping, yoga, etc...
5. Detective Work: Creating YOUR program and a lifestyle around food and fitness that works for you in your real life no matter what starts with experimenting. You get to be the detective and use the information that you gather to design the best, most simple and doable plan that fits for you.
6. BONUS BASIC 80/20: Liking how you eat makes the way that you eat sustainable long term -- we make sure that we enjoy the food we eat by eating according to the 80/20 principle. 80% of the time we are using the real strong plate and filling it with lean proteins, fruits and veggies. 20% of the time we are enjoying life and eating the foods we love in moderation. This is an
extremely important part of long term success that prevents us from feeling restricted and deprived.
The reason that these BASICS work is because they are guidelines to help you find a way of eating that is do-able over time. Your job is to eat, exercise, and live in a way that keeps your hunger, energy and cravings in check.
We are each unique and what works for one person may not work for another -- you are working towards creating a program that's specifically built for you by you and THAT IS SO COOL!
With that being said -- it’s going to take time and work and keeping it simple is huge and necessary.
Starting slow is key.
More is not better.
Don’t take on too much.
Keep it doable.
Work on consistency.
Trust in the process.
And believe in the basics.
Ready to learn more on how YOU can be a #BasicBadass?!
Check out my FREE course HERE: Melanielund.com/course